Effective: May 25, 2018
1. Information about us
2. What Information We Collect
3. Why We Collect Information
4. How We Collect Information
5. How We Use Collected Information
6. How your Personal Information may be disclosed
7. How Long We Keep Your Information
8. How You Control Collection of Your Information
9. How Can You Stop Receiving Communications from Stop Ivory and The Elephant Protection Initiative?
10. Does Stop Ivory Collect Information from Children?
11. Third-Party Services and Links to other websites
13. Your Rights
16. Contact Us
1. Information about us
www.elephantprotectioninitiative.org and www.stopivory.org are sites operated by Stop Ivory. We are a registered UK charity and our registration number is 1152332. Our main trading address is Stop Ivory, 22 Upper Ground, London SE1 9PD.
2. What Information We Collect
When you visit the Sites, Stop Ivory and the Elephant Protection Initiative and its service providers may collect personal information that you provide, such as your name, address and email address (“personal information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person).
We collect information about:
- Service users and beneficiaries;
- Donors and supporters;
- Service providers and contractors;
- Media contacts;
- Donation history;
In addition, Stop Ivory and its service providers use a variety of techniques to gather other information about your use of the Sites, including, among other things, your IP address, browser type, mobile device type, content visited while on the Sites and the duration of your visit to the Sites (“other information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual).
1. Why We Collect Information
We collect this information for the purpose of conducting and managing our work to achieve our charitable purpose. To secure a future for Africa’s iconic elephants we need to have effective communication with our supporters, like you. When you provide your personal details to us we use your information for our legitimate business interests – carrying out our work of protecting elephants. By understanding more about how you engage with the information we provide, we can improve how we communicate the most important messages that you need to hear. Collecting personal information, like email addresses, allows us to directly communicate with you, in a timely manner, the most up-to-date information on our progress and how you can be involved. Data also allows us to see which communication works in the most efficient way, so we can streamline our outreach, keep operational costs low, and maximise the allocation of funds for our conservation goals. Before doing this, though, we will also carefully consider and balance any potential impact on you and your rights.
2. How We Collect Information
Stop Ivory and its service providers collect Personal Information that you provide while using the Sites, or through direct interaction with individuals who consent to provide their contact details. For instance, Stop Ivory gathers information when you fill out forms on the Sites, including, for example, e-newsletter sign-up forms, and advocacy-related forms. We may supplement the information we collect from you with information we collect from and about you from other online and offline sources, such as public databases, online media items, social media platforms and from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected on social media platforms.
Stop Ivory and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways
- We use “cookies” to help us monitor traffic and collect information about the use of the Sites. Cookies are pieces of data placed on your device when you visit the Sites that help us recognize you when you come back to the Sites, allowing us, for instance, to remember the email address and password you use when you log in on a specific device. Stop Ivory uses the aggregated information collected from cookies to measure the number of visits to the Sites, the average time spent on the Sites, the identity and number of pages viewed and to gather other traffic data and information that allows us to improve the Sites. We also use the information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, and to personalize your experience while using the Sites. Cookies further allow us to select which of our content is most likely to appeal to you and display it while you are on the Sites.
- We may collect your IP address, which is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Sites, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. This is a common practice, done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, and administering the Sites.
- We may collect the physical location of your device, which is broadcast during its use by, for example, satellite, cell phone tower or Wi-Fi signal. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content.
- Information that you provide, such as your preferred means of communication, does not personally identify you unless it is combined with your Personal Information.
- We may aggregate Personal Information. Aggregated information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Sites (for example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code).
3. How We Use Collected Information
Stop Ivory may use your Personal Information:
- To promote the charitable aims Stop Ivory and the Elephant Protection Initiative
- To send you information about Stop Ivory, the Elephant Protection Initiative or Elephant Protection Initiative partners.
- To personalize your interactions with Stop Ivory, such as to customize your web and email content based on your interests, send you requests to participate in events in your area and otherwise target content and communications to you.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfil requests, such as by sending information about a project or issue, and delivering the Elephant Protection Initiative e-newsletter.
- To send administrative information to you, such as information regarding the Sites and changes to tour terms, conditions and policies.
- For our internal purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products and services, enhancing, improving or modifying the Sites, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our activities.
4. Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- To our third-party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing, fulfillment and other similar services. We do not undertake all of our processing activities ourselves, but we ensure that we have agreements with vendors and partners, and as part of that agreement the supplier agrees to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law.
- By you, on message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs, and other services to which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to users of the Sites and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on the Sites.
- To a compliant third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our operations, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- We may also use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
We do not rent, sell, or otherwise exchange constituent data for residents of the European Union for marketing purposes.
5. How Long We Keep Your Information
We only keep your personal information on file for as long as is necessary to satisfy any reporting, accounting, or legal requirements. If you request to unsubscribe from any communication from Stop Ivory and the Elephant Protection Initiative, such as email marketing materials, we will keep a record of any appropriate contact information to enable us to comply with your request to prevent any future communication from us. At any point you can exercise your right to be forgotten, simply contact us with a request for your data to be erased. We will ask for confirmation of identity, and once ID is confirmed we will compile a list of data to be erased, notifying you within 1 month of the request.
6. How You Control Collection of Your Information
I. Set your web browser to inform you of when cookies are being set before a cookie is stored, refuse any request to set cookies and do not accept cookies from Stop Ivory or the Elephant Protection Initiative. Erase all Stop Ivory or Elephant Protection Initiative cookies from your hard drive.
II. Do not provide your information when prompted by the Sites.
Please note, however, that if you choose to reject or erase cookies, your ability to navigate the Sites may be limited. Further, in the event you choose not to share information, Stop Ivory and the Elephant Protection Initiative will be unable to respond to your request for information or facilitate advocacy actions.
7. How Can You Stop Receiving Communications from Stop Ivory and The Elephant Protection Initiative?
If you would like to opt out of receiving content from Stop Ivory and the Elephant Protection Initiative, you can:
Take the opportunity to opt out in links on the bottom of information emails sent to you by Stop Ivory or the Elephant Protection Initiative.
8. Does Stop Ivory Collect Information from Children?
Stop Ivory and the Elephant Protection Initiative does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. The Sites are not directed at children under the age of 13. In the event that Stop Ivory learns that it has collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have collected any personal information from a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Stop Ivory respects the privacy of all of our online and offline donors and takes necessary measures to safeguard donors’ personal information.
When donors provide Stop Ivory with their name, address and any other personal data, Stop Ivory uses that information to send them thanks, keep them informed of program updates enabled by their contribution, events that may interest them, and of further funding needs as appropriate. If at any time a donor chooses not to receive these communications, he / she may contact Stop Ivory at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to opt out.
All donation records are maintained according to the applicable standards of record retention in effect at the time of the donation. All records are maintained in secure locations. Stop Ivory reserves the right to use or disclose any information as needed to satisfy any law, regulation or legal request
10. Your Rights
Under data protection laws you have various rights over your personal data. You have the right to:
1) Request access to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you;
2) You can request we correct any personal data we hold about you;
3) You have the right to request we erase your personal data. However, please note there may be circumstances we are legally required or entitled to retain it;
4) You may request to object to us processing your data under the legitimate interest condition. However, in some cases we may demonstrate we have a compelling legitimate ground to process your information.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. We will need to keep a copy of your name and email address in order to identify you within our databases and ensure we do not contact you in the ways that you have specified.
11. Third-Party Services and Links to other websites
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below.
14. Contact Us